top of page
The Manchester International Roots Orchestra (MIRO) is a unique ensemble of musicians with roots from across the world including refugee musicians. Our repertoire skilfully combines diverse musical influences from haunting Eastern European melodies, to the delicate textures of Middle Eastern percussion and vocals; through to soulful Sufi chants of South Asia, joyful African gospel – embracing rap, hip-hop, classical music and jazz along the way.
- 21 Feb, 18:00Zion Arts Center, 335 Stretford Rd, Hulme, Greater, Manchester M15 5ZA, UK
- Mon 03 Oct03MonOctRoma Community Wellbeing Fair - MIRO Duo in concert/Levenshulme03 Oct 2022, 16:00 BSTLevenshulme, Cromwell Grove, Levenshulme, Manchester M19 3QE, UKMIRO Duo - Holly Marland on Kora/Voice and Michael Cretu on Double Bass will perform a wonderful mixture of Roma, African and World folk songs.
- Wed 21 Sept21WedSeptMIRO in Concert at Rotherham Civic Theatre/Rotherham Civic Theatre21 Sept 2022, 19:30Rotherham Civic Theatre, Catherine St, Rotherham S65 1EB, UKAn intriguing exploration of spoken word, poetry, acting and new theatrical music, performed by artists from around the world. This will be a celebration of haw music has the power to remind us of who we are, reconnecting us to our roots.
- Fri 24 Jun24FriJunGobe Fest/Manchester24 Jun 2022, 22:00 BST – 25 Jun 2022, 23:00 BSTManchester, Corporation St, Manchester M4 3BG, UKMIRO return to Gobe Fest, established in 2017 to celebrate the little-known culture and traditions of the Székler people – a group of ethnic Hungarians living in Transylvania, which is part of Romania. The festival draws from across the Carpathian Basin region of Eastern and Central Europe.
- Fri 24 Jun24FriJunGobe Fest- Michael Cretu and Holly Marland/Exchange Square24 Jun 2022, 19:00 BST – 25 Jun 2022, 19:40 BSTExchange Square, Exchange Square, ManchesterAn intimate performance by our Musical Director Michael Cretu and Founding Member Holly Marland
- Tue 21 Jun21TueJunMusic's Healing Power/Yellow Arch Studios21 Jun 2022, 19:30 – 22 Jun 2022, 20:30Yellow Arch Studios, 30-36 Burton Rd, Neepsend, Sheffield S3 8BXThrough music, poetry and storytelling, we’ll share how music helps our musicians through their lives, especially as they’ve settled in a new country. This will be a joyful celebration of how music has the power to remind us of who we are, reconnecting us with our roots.
- Wed 08 Jun08WedJunMIRO at Manchester Histories Festival/Gorton Monastery08 Jun 2022, 18:00Gorton Monastery, Manchester M18 8BQ, UKWe'll join Manchester Histories Festival's Opening Night. Launched by historian & broadcaster Michael Wood and will feature fantastic performances and films from young people who have responded creatively to climate change. Poet, Louise Wallwein will make a special appearance.
- Thu 19 May19ThuMayMIRO at Manchester Central Library/Manchester Central Library19 May 2022, 15:00Manchester Central Library, Library St. Peters Square, Manchester, GB M2 5PDFree event, just turn up!
- Thu 28 Apr28ThuAprMIRO Quartet/Manchester Central Library28 Apr 2022, 15:00Manchester Central Library, Library St. Peters Square, Manchester, GB M2 5PDA free event, just turn up!
- Fri 10 Dec10FriDecReconnecting via Creativity Concert/Sharon Youth Association10 Dec 2021, 19:30Sharon Youth Association, 118 Chorlton Rd, Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester M15 4AN, UKRun in partnership with Sharon Youth Association, come and see what we've created in our Reconnecting via Creativity project alongside other talented local musicians.
- Mon 06 Dec06MonDecReconnecting via Creativity/Sharon Youth AssociationDetailsMultiple Dates06 Dec 2021, 18:00 – 20:00Sharon Youth Association, 118 Chorlton Rd, Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester M15 4AN, UK
- Thu 18 Nov18ThuNovWole/Location is TBD18 Nov 2021, 19:00Location is TBDWole means "Come In" and the musicians of MIRO come together with Amani Creatives and Voices Beyond to create a special, unique concert where we welcome you to Come In and celebrate being able to make music together again. This concert is made possible by the support of GM IAI.
- Sun 05 Sept05SunSeptGóbéfest 2021/Manchester05 Sept 2021, 17:00 – 18:00Manchester, Fennel St, Manchester, UKMIRO are delighted to return to Góbéfest, which this year runs from the 3rd to 5th of September. Full lineup here: https://gobefest.com/
- Sat 24 Jul24SatJulCoventry UK City of Culture/Coventry24 Jul 2021, 14:00 – 16:00Coventry, 10a St Nicholas St, Coventry CV1 4LY, UKA fun, informal afternoon of procession, storytelling and music presented by Walk the Plank and Coventry UK City of Culture 2021. Full details here: https://coventry2021.co.uk/what-s-on/creative-europe-celebration/
- Sat 17 Jul17SatJulGrimsby Festival of the Sea/Grimsby17 Jul 2021, 12:00 – 20:00 BSTGrimsby, Grimsby, UKMIRO will perform together on the 17th July for the first time in over a year! Exact time and location to be confirmed.
- Thu 04 Jun04ThuJunConcert/New Islington Free School04 Jun 2020, 18:00New Islington Free School, 10 Hugh Oldham Way, Manchester M4 6EY, UKThe full MIRO ensemble some together to perform for the parents and pupils at New Islington Free School.
- Thu 09 Apr09ThuAprConcert/Manchester Museum09 Apr 2020, 19:00Manchester Museum, University of, Oxford Rd, Manchester M13 9PL, UKTaking inspiration from the Heritage Futures exhibition and after a series of workshops at Manchester Museum the musicians of MIRO perform in concert. Free admission.
- Tue 07 Apr07TueAprCreative Workshop/Manchester Museum07 Apr 2020, 14:30 – 16:30Manchester Museum, University of, Oxford Rd, Manchester M13 9PL, UKCreating a piece exploring themes such as the uncertainty of living in unsafe places, transformation undertaken by settling in the UK and celebrating cultural diversity. We welcome budding musicians with stories to share to join in with these creative workshops. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
“It’s like the whole world is here in one room,
and you don’t need flight tickets to see it.”
bottom of page